In the current world, many companies are interested in automating some of their processes to save time and improve the efficiency of their organization.
In fact, automation is a widely used trend, and some studies show that by 2022, more than 50% of companies will have some form of automation in the workplace.
With the massive amount of increase in the use of automation, there is also an increase in the demand for workers who could work with automation technology. Hence, there is an increase in the need for programming languages that could help with automation.
Many programming languages are used in automation. The use of AI and automation will change the programming languages that are being used over the next few years.
This blog takes a look at the top 7 programming languages for automation in 2022.
Fact: Coding is mostly about thinking, not typing – thinking, analyzing may take up to 90% of a programmer’s time.
What is Automation in Programming Language?
Programming language is under the category of computer science, a form of artificial intelligence. Additionally, it enables us to instruct a machine to do tasks and to work on a specific task by following a pre-defined rule.
With the help of programming language, we can not only instruct the machine to do the tasks but also develop the programs, write codes, and compile them.
Automation in a programming language is meant to control a process with a single command. It can be done automatically by a machine or by a computer.
Moreover, automation is a method in programming languages to reduce the amount of repetitive work performed. Automation saves time and effort for a developer as it can be performed by anyone who has basic knowledge of the language.
Also Read: Programming Languages for AI
Best Programming Languages for Automation
There are several languages available for automation testing, including Python, C#, and others. Let us examine the top five languages:
Python ranks first on our list of programming languages for automation. It is the most widely used free and open-source programming language for testing automation.
However, it’s been used to build web and desktop applications, games, machine learning, data visualization, network servers, and many other things.
Moreover, Python, as a server-side scripting language, is an excellent choice for automation. As a result, it is ideal for selenium automation testing.
The popular programming language has a large number of libraries and frameworks. Use automation tools such as Pywinauto, Behave, Robot frameworks, and Selenium.
Key Features of Python programming:
Here are some essential features of Python programming language.
- It is a high-level programming language that is simple to learn.
- Python code appears to be simple English words. Semicolons and brackets are not used.
- Python has a large standard library that anyone can use.
- It is portable in the sense that it can run the same code on multiple machines.
- An object-oriented programming language is one that designs around data and objects rather than functions and logic.
Java is the next programming language on our list of automation testing languages. It is a top priority for organizations that want to create jobs in the field of automation testing.
It is an Oracle Corporation-owned general-purpose programming language that is mostly used for automation by software companies.
According to one report, java applications are used in over three billion devices.
This programming language is used by several organizations to maintain their back-end systems.
However, Java is used by approximately 77% of selenium testers, making knowledge sharing simple and quick.
Key Features of Java Programming:
Here are the important features of java programming language.
- Java is a simple and easy-to-understand programming language.
- It is robust programming, which means it can handle unexpected program termination.
- Java is a programming language that is object-oriented.
- It is platform-independent because it differs from other languages such as C, C++, and others.
C#, created by Microsoft, is also one of popular programming languages for automation testing.
It is a popular language that uses the.NET framework and is based on the concept of object-oriented programming.
According to a survey conducted by Stack Overflow Developer(2022), 63.39% of all respondents consider C# to be the most popular programming language for automation, web development, and other applications.
Key Features of C# Programming:
Here are the major features of C# programming language.
- C# type safe code can only access memory locations where it is authorized to execute.
- It is a programming language that is automatically scalable and updateable.
- C# includes a wide variety of built-in functions that speed up development.
- This language has a quick compilation and execution time.
- It is platform independent and object-oriented programming language.
- This programming language support dynamic typing.
PHP is a popular open-source programming language that is widely used for server-side development. It is even used as a programming language for automation.
PHP is a popular automation programming language that powers over 34 million websites.
However, it is used by many popular global websites, including Facebook, tumbler, Yahoo, and others.
Key Features of PHP Programming:
Here are the key features of the PHP programming language.
- PHP is well-known for its ease of use.
- It is an interpreted language, so no compilation is required.
- PHP scripts can run on any device, including mobile, tablet, and PC.
- It is a programming language that is versatile, dependable, and efficient.
Ruby is one of the best programming languages for automation. It is popular in the automation testing and automated browser testing fields.
In addition, it is a programming language with MVC architecture that focuses on simplicity and productivity.
In Ruby, several automation frameworks are used to support cross-browser testing. RSpec, Cucumber, Minitest, and Test::Unit are some of the most popular frameworks for testing Ruby applications.
Key Features of Ruby Programming:
Here are the major features of the Ruby programming language.
- Ruby is a versatile language in that existing components can be easily removed, redefined, or added.
- It is a programming language that is entirely object-oriented.
- It only supports single inheritance.
- Ruby is an interactive programming language. Its code is not compiled.
SmashTest is one of the programming languages for automation that uses NodeJS.
It is an open-source tool and language for creating tests quickly. The language is 10 times faster, but the documentation on SmashTest is inadequate. I had to literally run from pillar to post for test case development while working on automation testing with SmashTest.
Key Features of SmashTest Programming:
Here are the major features of the SmashTest programming language.
- SmashTest is a simple and easy-to-understand programming language.
- It is an open-source tool.
- If you want to dabble with test automation, this is the language to learn.
We hope you enjoyed our article on the top 7 programming languages for automation in 2022. With our list of top programming languages, we hope you can make the most of your automation efforts and build a solid foundation for your automation work.
Each of the above Programming languages for automation testing has advantages and disadvantages. However, which one you use is ultimately determined by your needs. As a result, it is best to experiment with as many of them as possible before settling on a specific language with which you are comfortable enough to develop highly effective Automation Scripts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which language is easiest to learn for automation?
Python is used by many professional developers because it is the easiest language to learn for automation. It has a simple syntax and is currently one of the industry’s most human-readable languages, with a wide range of test frameworks.
Is automation difficult to learn?
Automation is not difficult to learn if you have the proper knowledge and tool set. The level of difficulty is also affected by the type of automation you select. For example, switching from manual to automated testing is easier than diving into robotics.