Students in the digital world are concerned about Python vs Perl. We’re attempting to determine the difference between Python and Perl.
Python and Perl are both programming languages used for practical and technical purposes. The two languages have been in existence for years.
Both Python and Perl are two prominent scripting languages that are used for the purpose of developing scripts and programs.
Although they share some similarities, there are also some differences between the two. Here we look at the key differences between Python vs Perl.
About Python Programming Language
Python is a high-level, interpreted, general-purpose programming language. It is often used as a scripting language because it extensively uses whitespace indentation to denote code blocks.
However, It allows a developer to focus on the larger picture of the program rather than getting caught up in its syntax of it. It has a simple, readable syntax.
Python is a very portable language. Meaning it is coded once and works on many different systems without a need to recompile. It can be used to build a wide range of applications.
Moreover, it can also be used for simple scripts for complex devices. Python has been used for projects in the scientific field, like programming lab equipment and websites.
Also Read: Java vs C++
Key Features of Python Programming Language:
Here are some important features of Python programming.
- Python code is simple, so debugging it is simple.
- It includes many pre-built libraries that make coding easier.
- The code of python can run on a wide range of operating systems and hardware.
- Python programming allows for complex coding, which is required in robotics, artificial intelligence, and other fields.
- Python supports database integration with MySQL, Oracle, and other databases.
About Perl Programming Language
Perl programming is an open-source programming language commonly used for CGI scripting. CGI stands for Common Gateway Interface.
Perl is used to run programs that are transmitted by web browser scripts. Perl programming development was started by Larry Wall. The language has been used for various purposes.
It is one of the most powerful programming languages. It has different features as compared to other programming languages. It is a widely used web programming language because it is easy to learn and easy to read.
Key Features of Perl Programming Language:
Here are some important features of Perl programming.
- Perl supports procedural programming, which includes variables, expressions, code blocks, subroutines, and so on.
- It includes numerous built-in functions to help with text processing and operating system functions.
- Associative arrays can be used to handle data management tasks.
- Perl is a highly expressive language, so even for large programs, the code is short.
- Perl 5 added support for data structures, object-oriented programming, and other features.
Python vs Perl: Comparison Table Between Both Languages
The following are some key differences between Perl and Python:
|Introduction||Python is a popular high-level, general-purpose programming language. It has an extensive library and support. It also has a wide range of applications in Web Development, Machine Learning, Desktop Applications, and so on.||Perl is a general-purpose, high-level programming language that is widely used in CGI scripts. CPanel and Bugzilla are two popular Perl projects. Initially, it was intended to replace complex shell scripts.|
|File Extension||Python scripts are saved with the.py file extension. myFile.py is an example.||Perl scripts are saved with the.pl file extension. For instance, document.pl|
|Stat’sment End||Python does not require a semicolon at the end of statements because it handles whitespace.||In Perl, all statements must end with a semicolon.|
|Datatypes||Its data types include numeric lists, dictionaries, strings, and tuples.||It includes data types such as strings, Scalars, numeric, Arrays, and Hashes.|
|Whitespaces||Python deals with whitespaces, and if whitespaces are not used correctly, a syntax error is generated.||Whitespaces are ignored by Perl.|
|Code Blocks||Indentation is used to mark and identify code blocks.||Braces are used to mark and identify code blocks.|
|Object Oriented||Python provides excellent support for Object Oriented Programming.||In Perl, the OOP support available is limited.|
|Code||Python code is simpler and more understandable.||When compared to Python code, Perl code is not as simple.|
Key Differences: Python vs Perl
Here are some of the key differences between Python vs Perl that you should be aware of: –
- Python was created in 1989 by Guido van Rossum. On the other hand, Pearl was created by Larry Wall in 1987.
- Python is named after the well-known artist “Monty Python.” Whereas, Perl is a “Practical Extraction and Report Language,” though this is not an official designation.
- Python is widely used as a general-purpose programming language. On the other hand, Perl programming languages are thought to be used for text processing and reporting.
- Python is regarded as one of the most user-friendly programming languages. Whereas, Perl is not as simple to learn as Python.
Python vs Perl: Which one is popular
Furthermore, we will show you a graph which will make you clear which language is popular. In this graph, Python is denoted as blue, and Perl is denoted as red. It shows the Ups and downs of both programming languages in the form of a line.
This graph will help you decide which programming language to learn. According to global trends over the last five years, you should begin learning Python rather than Perl. Python’s demand and popularity have skyrocketed in recent years. As a result, if you learn Python now, you will have better career opportunities in the future.
We hope you enjoyed this blog about Python vs Perl. In this blog, we have explain what is python and perl as well as discuss the key differences both languages.
As previously discussed, Perl and Python are both programming languages that are good for the applications they target. We’ve already gone over everything there is to know about Perl vs Python. As a result, we can expect that our blog will be extremely beneficial to students. They can also decide which programming language to learn after reading this blog, as it will clear up any confusion about Perl vs Python.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Python so popular?
Python is popular primarily because, when compared to other high-level programming languages, writing code in Python is simple. As a result, it is a preferred language for use, even among beginners.
Which Is Better, Perl Or Python?
Perl is considered as one of the most powerful high-level programming languages. It is simpler to learn than Python. Furthermore, Python is more scalable, stable, and robust than Perl. Python’s popularity has grown in recent years, while Perl’s has declined.